4.11.10 - Having Fun in Colorado

4/11/2010

4.11.10

Today was a huge fun filled day but I'm not really sure where to start.  Pete wanted to head up to Steamboat Springs

to use the day he had on his "Pow Pow Platter" .  We planned on going Saturday but it wasn't in the cards. Steamboat is a pretty long trip but I was excited to see another part of the state.

It was quite a drive but not as bad as we thought, only about 2 hours.  Since I was driving there aren't any pictures on the way out there.  Since we got a later start than we, meaning Pete, wanted, we decided that we would find a cute place somewhere in town to have breakfast or lunch.  Our first try took us to the village where the parking lot is and a few strip malls that had fast food but it really wasn't what we were looking for.  We followed the signs to downtown and stumbled upon 'Main Street'.  Pete saw two places that looked good and we ended up going with:
 They had a write up in Gourmet Magazine by the door and the place was really busy so we had high hopes.  In the Gourmet article it said Winona;s was know for it's cinnamon bun.  When we finally sat down I noticed they made french toast with their cinnamon buns so I figured I would give it a try.
It looks good but I was disappointed.  Nothing new, I usually don't like the food as much as I think I will here.  Nothing compares to sitting in a NY restaurant and knowing what you order will more than likely be amazing.

Pete decided to get what he normally does, Chicken Fried Steak, and the same with his.  It just didn't have the right flavor I thought.  See why I need my own restaurant?
After that we headed back to where I would have to drop Pete off for the shuttle to the mountain.  He got ready and I snapped a few pics of the condos around the area.

Pete caught the bus and I was on my own for the day.  When we were looking for food I noticed a dollar store in one of the turn offs so I headed there to grab a few things.  Can you believe I can't find one close to me?  It's such a pain, I love grabbing kitchen stuff there.  When I pulled into the parking lot I noticed this car parked a few spots away so I took a picture.
I was able get a few things that I'll need for cooking school all for $6.  Pete didn't give me a budget but I'm really only buying things that are an amazing deal or I really need, and I mean can't live without.

So I headed back downtown where I planned on walking the strip and taking some pictures.
Now since this was closing day a lot of the shops in town were closed.  That is truly the best thing about working in a ski town.
I did find a few places that were open, one that had signs for miles advertising their store
Here's a quick Colorado history lesson:

They had some pretty funny stuff, mini Jackalope's
and a horse out front
The best thing about the store was their huge kids section.  Who could resist getting little baby cowboy clothes?  Well, I can cause I don't have any little rugrats yet.

So I kept moving down the strip, I saw a bunch of statues scattered around town and figured they would make some nice shots.


This one is a little weird it was on the side street of a candy shop.

There was an awesome jewelry store that had the most amazing assortment of Geodes.  For those of you who don't know what those are, trust me you've seen them.  Geodes are essentially rock cavities with internal crystal formations.

I started heading back to the car and checking out the other side of the street.  Pete sent me a text letting me know that the pond skimming contest was set to start at 1 so I should head over to the village around then.  I decided that it was time to take the quintessential picture of Steamboat, the village with the skiing in the background.

This I just thought was wrong.  

I would have gone in to try this pizza but they were closed too.  I might have to fly back to Brooklyn just for a slice.   I wish Pete could bring back some water from his trip this week so I could make my own dough.  Nothing makes a better pizza dough than New York City water. 

I found a really cute store that was huge and had so much fun stuff in it.  This looks like the best grilling cookbook and I might need to pick it up the next time I see it.

Such a cute Doggie Treat Box

I was talking to Pete about this, I think it's something you brush your boots on.  If anyone knows for sure please let me know!

Something that I would have thought there would be more of here are Oxygen Bars.  This place was $1 for 15 minutes.  Again something that I would have tried if it was open.

I thought I was finished but a record store caught my eye, especially the phrase Used Vinyl.  I love to add to our collection whenever I can.  I headed to the back of the store and was thrilled to see a bin of 'scratched' records for only .99 a piece.  I ended up finding some pretty good stuff, Bat out of Hell - Meatloaf, It's only Rock n Roll - The Rolling Stones, Greatest Hits - Santana, Mind Games - John Lennon, Anthem of the Sun - The Grateful Dead and One more from the Road - Lynyrd Skynyrd.  And you can't beat the price, I walked out of there paying a little over $6.  So my daily spending total was about $13.  Not too shabby.

I grabbed the shuttle and up to the village I went

The pond skim already started and Pete had nabbed us some seats.  Where we could see the starting gate

I thought that there would be more people but it wasn't too bad

There was a lady and her dog that came and sat next to us and a little girl by us was in love.  I think her glasses are so cute.  A little fashionista!

Here is a video of one of the contestants so you can see a skimmer up close and personal

I learned a very valuable lesson, Even if you think you'll be walking around a village all day wear wedges not skinny heels.  I was sinking in everywhere but I'm an expert so I managed.  And for those of you who know me, I didn't even fall once.

They had a bunch of fun stuff going on for closing day including a mechanical bull.  Here is some girl whose friends talked her into it.  I had just noticed it was there so it couldn't have been better timing, it might be a little dark

And a concert was set to play at 3:30
It was really cool to see people using real organs on stage

I was pooped and we decided to head back home.  Pete decided to use my camera and try to get some shots for me on the ride home.  Steamboat still has a pretty decent amount of snow on the ground.  The previous snowbank pic I took didn't have anything to compare it to but we got one today.

We took a pass called 'Rabbit Ears' and we think we found where it got it's name, a little hard to see but on the top there are two rock formations that look like ears

Pete was trying to get some shots of what we thought was Rocky Mountain National Park.  The huge range of mountains in the background.  They tend to blend with the clouds and sky but that's the best we have for now.  Pictures from the car, what can you do?
Here is a better one

I liked this rock formation that we saw.  The landscape here is so amazing.

Just another shot that looked nice

No comments:

@way2themes