Cooking School - Steamed Artichokes with Tarragon Butter - Having Fun in Colorado

4/17/2010

Cooking School - Steamed Artichokes with Tarragon Butter

So it's about time that I got my butt in gear and started knocking out some recipes.  This was the easiest of the artichoke recipes so I figured I might as well get it out of the way. 

So I started with slicing the tops off two artichokes and removing and bottom leaves and of course cutting down those dangerous little spikes at the ends of the leafs.
 
I had to let them soak in some lemon water so they didn't brown.  They still did a little bit so next time I'll try it with a bit more lemon juice in the water. 


 I got a pot of water on the stove with some salt and fresh tarragon
When it came up to a boil into the 'steamer' they went with some lemon slices, for about an hour or until tender.  It'll be much easier when I get my bamboo steamer. 
Then I started on the tarragon butter.  Since I was only doing two artichokes I cut the recipe and only made 1/3.  I removed the milk solids with a slotted spoon so it looked better.  I don't know why this didn't call for clarified butter in the first place.  Next time that's how I'm gonna do it.

Final product and review will be posted later as the artichokes are still steaming.

UPDATE:  Holy Crap!  I wasn't really expecting anything this good since they looked a little mushy.  After steaming, the artichokes petals get creamy on the bottom and with the butter it's absolutely amazing.    And since you can make this with very little effort I'd have to say that it's going to be a new house favorite.


I saw an episode on FoodTV about artichokes and it just seemed like a lot was thrown away and for the price (normally $2.50 a piece) it seemed like a waste when I could by them already marinated for about the same.  But not any more, now I can't wait until I make the poached egg with steamed artichoke.

2 comments:

  1. oh love this and tarragon butter sounds so good

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really good, and very simple. The butter surprised me since I've never made herbed butter before. It'll be a regular around here, and I can't wait to try it with other herbs.

    ReplyDelete

@way2themes