Artichokes - Trimming & Freezing - Having Fun in Colorado

4/17/2010

Artichokes - Trimming & Freezing


So I've tackled my artichokes, finally!  Well I still have 4 left in the fridge for 2 more recipes I wanted to make with them, Marinated Artichokes with Lemon Vinaigrette &  Steamed Artichokes with Poached Egg & Smoked Salmon with Hollandaise. 


Trimming Artichokes: (a la Martha)
Boy are those things prickly.  I was lucky to stab myself only once and I learned my lesson.  Since this was the first time I've ever worked with real live artichokes I'd say it went pretty good. 

Freezing Artichoke:
I got these instructions off the web and hopefully it worked.  I guess the real test will be when I defrost them and try to make them.

To freeze artichokes, wash and trim off top and thorny parts. Blanch in a mixture of ½ cup lemon juice to 2 quarts water. Cook 3 to 5 minutes for small artichokes, or 10 mins. for medium sized artichokes. Drain, chill, package and freeze.

No comments:

@way2themes