3.17.10 - Having Fun in Colorado

3/17/2010

3.17.10

While watching the news this morning I heard about a Denver tradition called Kegs & Eggs.  It's a huge party with live bands that they have every year.  We might have to go next year it looked like a lot of fun. 

They were also interviewing lots of 35 - 40 year old 'students' at Fado Restaurant, an Irish Pub in Downtown Denver that opens at 8 on St. Patrick's Day.  One of the guys they talked to had a book of limericks called 'Irish Blessings'.  I love the one that he read, 

 'I only take a drink for two reasons, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not.'

If that doesn't sum up St. Patty's I don't know what does.

Today Pete and I headed over to A Basin to avoid the crowds from the condos since it's still spring break.  I had my camera out for a few shots while we drove up to the mountain.

 Here is a picture of a duplex trailer that I saw along I-70.  Fancy! 

 I really shouldn't have put my camera away since there was about 50 Big Horn sheep right by the road near Georgetown.  (This is not an actual pic from me)


That's why they don't use salt here because the sheep and goats here love it and will come down from the mountains to lick the roads. 

We stopped in Downieville at Subway to grab a sandwich for lunch.  While we waited I noticed the Nat Sherman display on the counter.  Who knew that they were the only non-addictive cigarette? 

We got ready and headed up the mountain trying to find Andy and his wife Sheila but Pete had a feeling that it wasn't going to happen.

Lots of people from north east, I got a few comments on my Smugg's sticker. 

We took a break so I could fix my boots and the mid-station and what can I say, it was another beautiful day.



I saw an interesting look that got off the chairlift
I tried to take a picture but it didn't come out very well, damn cell phone
Anyway, this guy was rocking a flannel and blue carhartt overalls. 

The next time we took the chair up

Pete spotted them and we headed up again to take a run together before they had to go. 

I was hit by someone for first time.  I couldn't believe it but I've been waiting for it to happen.  The kid who hit me, who was about 12, was mortified when I explained to him that here if you run into someone you can go to jail.  If I hadn't thrown my self to the ground there was a really good chance that one of us could have been badly hurt and I'm sure he has insurance.

Sheila, who is a nurse, was telling us about the injuries that she's seen from the idiots on the mountain this week.  There was a girl that came in after getting cocky and hitting a tree that had 7 broken ribs and a broken pelvis.  We saw a lady who was doing the most stupid thing I have ever seen on a mountain.  She must have fallen and was trying to get into her skis again.  She was so aggravated that she was sliding them to get to a flatter spot, thankfully they never took off because again it could really hurt someone.  I don't know where the common sense has gone?

So we headed down to the parking lot to have a beer and celebrate the holiday.  I knew that there would be some pretty interesting entertainment there too.

This is one of the spots you can reserved called "The Beach" and these people  looked like they were having a good time, they even had a Disco Ball.


 When Pete and I first took the chair up I noticed this guy in a sleeveless shirt and a beer in his hand flying down the mountain.  They were parked right by us.  Like I said I have no shame, so I walked over and asked if I could take a pic


In case you can't tell, he's sitting on a lawn chair on the top of his car, which has a sun roof.  We were just waiting for him to fall through it.  Now these kids were living it up, we heard a few funny things for instance Mr. St. Patrick as he was dubbed, was heard shouting "Hey ski school I love you" and "You better give me some shrooms right now,  for those of you who think I'm f***ked up just wait."

His outfit evolved pretty fast.  The next time I looked over he was stripped down to his boxers and a tee.


Even though they had a keg we still heard them shouting around to get someone to do a beer run.  I just wondered how they were getting home.   Scary. 

So we sat around and enjoyed the sun.  You can see the season coming to an end everyday as it gets warmer and warmer.  Pete doesn't think that we'll make it to June 6th this year cause the base isn't as deep as last year.  This was the river that was running thru the parking lot.


On the way home I finally got a pic of the snow banks going up the pass.  My guess is 8 ft high.  I tried to get a guy on a bike next to it but we weren't close enough. 


This is the Georgetown Loop railroad building.  Taken from the car.

And this is one of the dogs that lives on the first floor of the building. So cute, he came to meet us when we pulled into our parking spot.


So the plan was to have Shepherd’s pie for dinner tonight but I was beat from skiing so we had burgers and chocolate shakes with fries.  Shepherd's Pie tomorrow for dinner. 

No comments:

@way2themes