Crab Cakes - Having Fun in Colorado

2/16/2010

Crab Cakes

For dinner on Valentines I had planned to make crab cakes but we ended up having pizza instead. So since I wasn't feeling very good I prepped everything and Pete took over and made me dinner.















I'm not sure how healthy crab cakes are for you but these are packed with veggies. I have the recipe below for anyone who wants to try them. I made a few changes to save some money so all that's noted below too. We served them with mashed potatoes and corn with a homemade remoulade sauce.

Crab Cakes from Naturally Thin by Bethenny Frankel
12 Large Crab cakes or 24 Small Crab cakes

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil (I used a little more)
3/4 cup small diced onion
1 1/2 cups diced celery (I used 3 stalks)
1 1/2 cups diced red pepper (I used 1 green pepper)
1 1/2 cups diced yellow pepper (I used 1/2 yellow pepper)
1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning (I used 1.5 t of an Old Bay Crab cake season pack)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs (panko) (I used a cup but it should have been more)
1/2 cup low fat mayo (I used regular mayo)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire
1/2 lb (8oz) Jumbo Lump Crab meat, drained (I used 1 8 oz package of Crab Select)
Cooking Spray
2 Tablespoon Pesto & 2 Tablespoon w salt & pepper – mixed together (Took out)
2 Tablespoon fresh minced parsley (Took out)

In addition I used about 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs. The directions below are for the original recipe.

1. Heat Oil in pan and sauté the onion, celery, and bell peppers until soft. Season with Old Bay salt & pepper. Set aside to cool.
2. Combine bread crumbs, mayo, mustard, Worcestershire. Add crabmeat but don’t over mix. Crabmeat should remain in large pieces.
3. Combine finished products from steps 1 & 2
4. Spray pan w cooking spray and heat on medium. Use scooper for cake sizes. Fry on each side until brown.
5. Top each cake with Pesto/mayo mix and pie nuts

Homemade Remoulade
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup Dijon mustard (I used coarse grain and it was fine)
T hot sauce (I used Franks)

No comments:

@way2themes