2.20.10 - Having Fun in Colorado

2/20/2010

2.20.10

Today was a bit crazier than originally expected, Pete woke up sore and aching all over I still have the stomach bug everyone is passing around. After a slow start we started getting some stuff done.

I knew I needed to cook a few things today. I started with some salad dressing. I've been craving a Leek & Goat Cheese Omelet from Diner in Brooklyn, one of my all time favorite breakfasts. They serve it with some greens and a lemon vinaigrette dressing. Yesterday my lemon juice & olive oil was too strong so I wanted something different. I took the other lemon half and juiced it, added some grain mustard, olive oil, salt & pepper and blended it up in the Magic Bullet. It was still a bit to tart so I added a touch of Colorado honey and it was great. Since I got a taste of the honey I decided I wanted to use it in my breakfast.

I'm trying to eat protein at breakfast so I feel full longer so again I went with a boiled egg but I toasted a cinnamon raisin english muffin and drizzled some honey on it and boy was it good.















I wanted to try and use the Magic Bullet juicer attachment to make some fresh juice with our drawer full of oranges. I took the leftover slices from when Ron was here, approx 1.25 oranges, and sliced up two more. This is what I had when it was all said and done.....



















Since I knew I would be heading to the store to grab a few things for this week I started looking in the fridge to see what could be cleared out. I took my zucchini and most of the carrots that I had left and decided it would be a good idea to make some soup and some room in the fridge at the same time.

Nothing too special and I didn't use a recipie. I cut up 1 zucchini, 5 carrotts, 1 small onion and sauteed them.















I peeled and cut one sweet potato and boiled it in chicken stock.



















I added every thing to a large stock pot with a cup of water and cooked it for two hours. Before I could do anything else I needed to let it cool so it was time to head over to Evergreen for errands.

Thankfully Pete suggested that I leave early for a few good reasons, 1. It's a weekend and the traffic can be dead stopped at any time going in any direction and 2. It was going to snow again today and there is an even larger chance of a traffic disaster in those conditions.

So I took off to Evergreen to head to the bank and Wal Mart. I decided since it was going to be a quick trip not to worry about dressing that warm. Well today's Colorado lesson is always wear your winter jacket when it's snowing out. When I was driving the other day I thought my wiper fluid was out but it started to work again so I promptly forgot to check it. Of course today on my way to Evergreen my fluid ran out. Pete has made sure to stock my car as he would his own so I knew I had everything I needed in the back of my car. I went to the bank and decided it would be easier to refill it in Wal Mart's parking lot.















Now dad I know your reading this so let me tell everyone that you were right. I should have taken the time to learn where everything was. I stood in the cold and snow for a good 5 minutes trying to find where the lever was to unhook the hood of the car.

Finally I got it open!














Everything was refilled and I was totally disgusting. Our new rule is to keep a roll of paper towels in case you ever have to touch anything on your car. It's impossible to keep them clean here and if you brush against it by accident whatever you're wearing is gross.

When I got home and put everything away it was time for lunch. I finished up with my soup and pureed it.



















Sandwiches were on the menu for lunch today, Pete and I had the same ingredients for the most part but different prep. Below is Pete's.















I toasted mine and instead of munster cheese I used a low fat spreadable swiss from laughing cow.

For dinner I decided on something light. We had grilled salmon over an herb salad with red onion and the dressing I made earlier. It ended up going great with the fish. Pete was nice enough to take over the grilling for me. After being oiled the salmon was still sticking to the grill. It made the fish fall apart a little but it tasted so good. Pete disagrees because he doesn't think anything he cooks comes out good.















Since this is a super light dinner, and we usually have potatoes with salmon I re-heated up a portion for Pete to make sure he'd be full. All in all for a first attempt this dish was a real hit.

No comments:

@way2themes