Mom's Trip - June 11-18th 2010 - Having Fun in Colorado

7/23/2010

Mom's Trip - June 11-18th 2010

Of course while mom was out here for her trip the weather was not the best.  We had to cancel a few of the fun things we had planned but we still had a good time.

Since it was raining we got some movies and hung out at home while she got used to the altitude.  Alice in Wonderland was our pick.  I didn't get to see all of it the first time I tried to watch it so I was happy to see all of this time.  Plus I got to make her a nice dinner, Tuna Noodle Casserole, her favorite. 

Since it was still dreary out I decided we needed to get out for a drive at least.  We headed West on 70 and did a quick drive thru Georgetown and Silver Plume.  I was interested in finding the Bakery that I've heard about in Silver Plume but I don't think I'll be going back.  I wish that we had stopped for pictures.

We headed up to the Continental Divide, and as you can see from the picture it wasn't the nicest day.
On the way down, I wanted to show her A-Basin where we ski.  We were surprised by a chopper when we drove by.  The bottom lift is getting replaced and they were choppering out the huge metal posts.  We stopped and I took some video.



When we got home we found a few of our new neighbors practicing their kayaking in the pool.  You never know what you'll find going on here.

Of course we did the stroll around town.  Hit all the shops and had some food at Tommyknockers.
Onion Rings

Fish & Chips

Steak Sandwich

 Tundraberry Beer (my favorite) - I love that you can spend $1.50 and get a little beer

Like I said we hit up the shops and mom grabbed Pete the funniest shirt for a thank you gift.  I finally got around to shrinking it for him since they only had XXL in the store.  Doesn't he look happy?  In case you can't read it, it says:  Paddle Faster, I can hear banjos.

We hit up to Frisco cause I had an interview and figured after we would walk around and check out the shops.  I saw this advertisement for the "Beetle Fest".  I guess they take all the Beetle kill trees that have to be taken down and make them into furniture and other items.  Sounds like a cool idea.  It's September 11th so I hope we can get to it. 

Here is some of the street artwork

They have some funny things in the shops on Main Street.  Lots of stuffed animals.....
Buffalo (a little hard to see)
 Sheep?  I think anyway.

We also took a day to wander around Breckenridge.  I didn't really take any pictures.  We hit up my two favorite places.  The Elk Jerky vendor, it's a little pricey but soooo good.  I meant to take a picture of it but never got around to it.  Next time I grab some.  

We also went to a fur shop on the main strip and I tried on the best fur coat I've ever encountered.  Not the most flattering pic but oh, well.  I love it!  Plus I do think that a fur coat & Colorado are the perfect fit.  

When dad was here he wanted to check out a cookie shop that was recommended to him from a guy he works with, "Mary's Famous Mountain Cookies".  We never made it so I wanted to send some home for him.  The cookies they made are 1/4 pound and we got a variety to try ourselves and boy were they good. 

We also treated ourselves to some truffles.  I thought I had a pic of them but I guess not, here's the bag.

No comments:

@way2themes