Shrimp with Grilled Zucchini and Coconut Rice - Having Fun in Colorado

1/15/2010

Shrimp with Grilled Zucchini and Coconut Rice















So the recipe I was testing here was the coconut rice. This is another Bethanny recipe but one that I found online. She has some really good instruction videos on her YouTube page. Since I can't link it to anything I've typed it up below.

The zucchini was super easy. I chopped 1 zucchini, seasoned it with Hawaiian sea salt & pepper and grilled them on our cast iron grill pan.















The shrimp were disappointing. I intended to have nice crispy shrimp for a contrast to the rice but it just didn't work out. The panko was not cooperating and didn't stick at all. It was a bummer but now I know for next time. Pete made a good suggestion to butterfly them next time also.

Let me tell you going from cooking on sea level to 7,500 ft you need to make some adjustments. The Coconut Rice came out OK. Nothing to rave about and I had to do some quick thinking to save it.

Coconut Rice - 4 Servings
1 cup Jasmine Rice
1/2 cup Water
1/2 cup Lite Coconut Milk
1/2 t vanilla
pinch of salt & raw sugar
1/4 grated coconut

In a deep frying pan add rice, water & coconut milk. The liquid should be covering the rice plus 1/4". Bring the rice to a boil, about 3 minutes. Watch carefully! In a separate pan toast the grated coconut on low. When the liquid is absorbed into the rice it's done. Serve with toasted coconut as a garnish. (Optional: Top with toasted slivered almonds)

Since I'm doing pictures with the blog I've actually had to think about plating. It's something I don't know too much about but I was pretty happy with how it came together. Pete did his own take on how the food should be arranged.

No comments:

@way2themes